The petition for the formation of Old Mancunians’ Lodge No. 3140 was signed by eleven old boys of Manchester Grammar School (Hence the name), who were Freemasons from various Lodges and whom we honour as founders.
They held their first meeting at the Deansgate Hotel Manchester on October 2nd 1905, with the purpose of creating a masonic lodge primarily for the past members of Manchester Grammar School. Following approval by Provincial Grand Lodge, the Lodge was consecrated at the Midland Hotel, Manchester on Monday 5th February 1906, by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master CRN Beswicke-Royds. The Provincial Grand Master, Lord Derby being unable to officiate himself, honoured the Lodge by presiding over the Installation meeting in the following year
This may inspire the reader to imagine life in Manchester in 1906: at the second meeting of the Lodge, the fees were established. The annual subscription fee was agreed at £2 2s 0d, a considerable sum at the time! Five shillings were added as the annual subscription to the charity fund. During the first four years the Lodge held its meetings at the Freemasons Hall in Cooper Street, Manchester, whence in 1910 it moved to the Albion Hotel in Piccadilly, where it remained until those premises were demolished in 1926.

In October of that year it removed to the Blackstock Hotel in Upper Brook Street, Chorlton on Medlock, where it continued to meet until it finally reached its present location in the newly built magnificence of Bridge Street on the4th October 1929. The concept of holding ceremonies including a number of candidates dates back to the early days in the Lodge’s history. Even in the first few years of the Lodge’s life this has been common practice. Our records indicate these as early as 1907 when the Lodge had four new candidates on 5th March and another two on 5th April.
Amongst the notable events held by the Lodge over the years, two are particularly remarkable: The twenty fifth Anniversary of the on secration of the Lodge is a well-remembered celebration held in 2004, attended by Peter Walthall the Provincial Grand Master at the time.
The Lodge open evening in January 2002 was another resounding evening; when numerous non-Masons were shown the Lodge room, received an explanatory introduction and were then entertained to a Social Board where Paul Rose, our Assistant Provincial Grand Master also spoke. More than half of the attendees later declared interest in joining the Lodge; building new bonds of friendship that we are enjoying today.
In 2006, Old Mancunians’ Lodge joined the “Universities Scheme”, extending but not limiting its membership to University students and postgraduates. This has marked the beginning of a very exciting era in the Lodge’s life. Since then, the Lodge has attracted many young men mainly from the Universities in Manchester; while it has received graduates from across the country and abroad who are interested in Freemasonry and have come to work/live in Manchester area. Conversely, the members moving on to leave the area have been enjoying Freemasonry; some by joining Lodges as far as London, Germany, Romania and Texas.
In 2013, Old Mancunians’ Lodge and Mount Sinai Lodge joined together; forming a bigger, stronger and even more vibrant Lodge. The Lodge by-laws were amended by unification and individual traditions were elegantly amalgamated. The new Lodge remains an active member of the Universities Scheme and a great opportunity for young men to enjoy Freemasonry.
Looking through the glass of time, one cannot help but feel both nostalgia and pride. Mount Sinai Lodge no longer holds pre-meeting cocktail receptions; and although maintaining its academic theme, Old Mancunians’ Lodge is no longer the special Old boys’ social club. Nevertheless, the Lodge continues to prosper with the same splendour which has brought great joy to its members … joining,
present and past…